Kindergarten – 6th grade
Elementary school isn’t just about learning the basics. We want our students to have the chance to grow their abilities in a wide variety of areas. At Muskegon Christian School, we cover the core areas including Math, Science, Language Arts, Social Studies, Bible and also offer:
- Specials: Spanish (K-6); Computers (K-6); Art (K-6); Music (K-6); PE (K-6); Band (5-6)
- Spanish Immersion program, beginning in Preschool and Kindergarten and continuing through 6th grade. Our Spanish Immersion students are able to maintain and develop their Spanish language skills at our partner school Western Michigan Christian High School in grades 7-12
- Teaching for Transformation in all grades K-6th
- Educational Support Services Academic support for qualifying students
- Extra-Curricular opportunities such as after school basketball and running clubs
Our curriculum is not textbook dependent but based on the knowledge, skills and the Christian perspective that we want the students to acquire.
- We have a K-12 Director of Curriculum who oversees and develops our curriculum. We are on a 5-year cycle of reviewing each of the curricular areas.
- At MCS, we pride ourselves in exceeding academic expectations, while teaching and applying a Christian perspective in all we do in and outside the classroom. We use standardized testing such as ACT and SAT scores and other State and National standards as we develop a Christ-centered and academically challenging curriculum.
- Northwestern Education Association Measures of Academic Progress (NWEA-MAP Test): Standardized test scores support the fact that MCS offers a high-quality academic experience. While we do not make standardized test taking a focus of our curriculum, MCS consistently scores well above the average and is consistently the highest or among the highest in the area.